What Is Cellulose Insulation
Written by Barrier Insulation Inc

What Is Cellulose Insulation?

When installing insulation in an attic or closed wall, the most popular choice is blow-in cellulose insulation. Other popular options include blown-in fiberglass and fiberglass batts. However, loose-fill cellulose is still the most cost-effective and practical solution.

What Is Cellulose Insulation?

Cellulose insulation is a wood and paper product used to fill empty spaces to prevent the transmission of cold and heat in a house. With a consistency similar to feathers, it is dense, clumpy and thick. It can be installed into enclosed areas and can go around obstacles such as ducts or wires. Commercial cellulose insulation is derived from materials like cardboard, recycled newspapers, office paper, and other common waste paper products. Therefore cellulose insulation is a very eco-friendly product.

How Cellulose Insulation Is Blown Into The Home

Homeowners most often use loose-fill cellulose insulation. It differs from other kinds of cellulose insulation that is designed to be blown onto open walls in a similar way to spray foam. With loose-fill cellulose insulation, moisture gets introduced into the spray assists in sticking cellulose to the wall. But with loose-fill insulation, the cellulose is dry. When filling finished walls, holes are drilled into the drywall or plaster permitting access of the blower nozzle. In attics, it is blown in alongside the joists. it can also be utilized to fill in existing cavities in the joists that have no insulation or added as a layer on top of fiberglass insulation or batts.

Cellulose Insulation Pro’s

  • Cellulose insulation stands up well to vermin and insects
  • With finished walls, loose-fill cellulose insulation is one of the very few ways you can successfully add insulation
  • Loose-fill cellulose insulation settles to conform around obstructions in attics and walls.

Cellulose Insulation Cons

  • Over time once the insulation has settled, it can form pockets where there is no insulation.
  • Cellulose soaks up moisture when placed in enclosed areas and takes a great deal of time to dry out.

Is Cellulose Considered Green?

To a certain extent…Up to 85 percent is made from recyclable materials. But the remaining 15 percent is less than ideally green as it contains chemicals such as borate to treat the insulation. As a rule of thumb, it would be fair to say it cellulose loose-foam insulation is not perhaps as green as it is sometimes made out to be.

Barrier Insulation Offers Insulation Services In Phoenix!

Barrier Insulation Inc. is the premier provider of quality insulation in Phoenix. You can trust your insulation to the professionals at Barrier Insulation Inc. knowing your house will be optimized with the finest quality insulation in the marketplace. For all of your insulation needs call us today at 602-499-2922.

Whether you are building a new house, or just need to remove the old insulation and install a newer more energy efficient option Barrier Insulation is Phoenix’s first choice in home and commercial insulation. We proudly provide the valley’s more comprehensive insulation service that helps you stay more comfortable and save on energy. Click here to schedule on our website, or just give us a call at 602-499-2922 or 623-931-0637.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.