If you are planning to install solar panels onto a roof for your next DIY project, follow our 10-step guide below!
How To Install A Solar Panel On A Roof
Use our step-by-step guide to effectively and efficiently install solar panels onto a roof.
- Carefully lay out the locations of the stanchions needed to support the solar panels on the roof.
- Screw each stanchion through the roof into a roof rafter.
- Make sure the stanchion flashing fits beneath the roof shingles.
- This will ultimately prevent roof leaks.
- Use stainless steel bolts to fasten the upper and lower aluminum rails to the stanchions.
- Then use an impact driver to tighten the bolts.
- Measure diagonally across the end of the upper rail all the way to the end of the lower rail.
- Repeat this to measure the opposite diagonal distance.
- If these measurements are equal, the rails are square.
- Adjust one of the rails if the measurements are not equal.
- Install the middle rail, which needs to align with the upper and lower rails.
- Run electrical conduit and wiring up to all the solar panels.
- Next, install a micro inverter below each solar panel.
- This effectively wires the panels in parallel with each other.
- Attach a 6-gauge bare copper grounding wire to each inverter at this time.
- This will ground the entire system.
- Make the wire connections from one area of one array of solar panels to the next.
- Set the solar panel onto these stanchions.
- Snap the plug connections together.
- Screw the retaining clips to the rails in order to secure the panel.
- Complete the electrical work by extending the wires from the solar panels, through the new electrical meter and into an electrical sub-panel.
- Perform this task from inside the basement.
How Much Does Solar Panel Installation Cost?
The typical cost for a 7kW solar system of panels runs around $24,500. This price is dependent on how many watts of power your home will use, multiplied by the current rate of solar panels (per watt) in Arizona. An average home in the valley of the sun will use around 7 kW. The cost of $24,500 includes installation costs and materials.
According to HomeGuide, solar panels will cost about $7 per square foot in Arizona. Prices will range from $4-$10 per square foot. Typically, commercial solar panels in Arizona will cost between $2.50-$3.50 per watt, meaning business owners can expect to pay $3.00 per watt, on average.
Are Solar Panels Worth It?
If you are wondering whether solar panels are worth the investment for your commercial property, the answer is a resounding yes! Solar panels can offset electricity costs by upwards of 75% per month. Additionally, business owners can deduct up to 85% of the system cost from their taxes.
Here is a look at a few of the benefits of solar panels:
- Reduces electricity costs.
- Quick return on investment.
- Maintenance free.
- Power costs will be locked in for years to come.
- Huge tax rebates for businesses.
- Can be financed with no money down and/or low monthly payments.
How Much Money Can You Save With Solar Panels?
Solar panels can save you thousands of dollars throughout the lifetime of these panels. The average homeowner in Arizona can save upwards of $20,000 over the next 20 years following installation. Most homeowners will experience savings between $10,000-$30,000 over 20 years time.
Can Solar Panels Boost Your Home’s Value?
According to the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, installing solar panels can increase your home’s value by $20 for every $1 reduction in annual utility bills. This means that a solar energy system that saves $400 per year on utility bills will ultimately boost your home’s value by $8,000.
There are mixed views by many home experts, though. They believe the value of solar panels truly lies in the eyes of the potential buyer. Some may see it as a plus, others may see it as a negative. Solar panels are just like swimming pools or fences in that regard. It really depends on what the buyer is looking for in a new home purchase.
Once you’ve found the right buyer, there is no doubt these systems will increase your home’s overall value. Enjoy the countless savings on utility bills in the meantime.
Schedule Your Solar Services Today!
Whether you are building a new house, or just need to remove the old insulation and install a newer more energy efficient option Barrier Insulation is Phoenix’s first choice in home and commercial insulation and solar services. We proudly provide the valley’s more comprehensive insulation service that helps you stay more comfortable and save on energy. Click here to schedule on our website, or just give us a call at 602-499-2922.